[Spice-devel] Trouble running (compiling?) spice-gtk-0.15 on Ubuntu 12.10

Philip Loewen philip at tidepool.ca
Sun Jan 6 10:13:22 PST 2013

Greetings. I'm new here, inexperienced in general, and looking for help
squashing segfaults in spice-gtk-0.15. Details follow.

I'm trying to compile and run spice-gtk-0.15 from the git repositories,
working in Ubuntu 12.10. It may be relevant that I recently did a
system-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04. Also, in the repository viewable at
   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/tree/
[and the corresponding .tar.gz file] the directory 'spice-common' is
empty. So I just copied the directory of the same name from my local
copy of spice-gtk-0.14.

For each package, in order, from the list
   ['spice-protocol','libusbx','usbredir-0.6','spice-gtk-0.15'],
I run through the usual sequence of commands:
   ['./autogen.sh','make','sudo make install','sudo ldconfig']
These operations seem to complete successfully.

Then running "spicy --spice-debug" produces the results shown at
   http://pastebin.com/HWHq1jKs

I would appreciate your suggestions. Some highlights to save you reading
all 1011 lines from pastebin:
  * On launch, spicy reports its version as "UNKNOWN".
    (This seems odd -- could it be a symptom of something?)
  * The desired connection is to a VM running inside a physical
    machine that is different from the box running spicy.
  * The VM just mentioned is correctly viewable with the older
    spicec client. The VM is running with the latest spice protocol
    built in the recent Qemu 1.3.
  * A stack trace is provided at the bottom of the pastebin material.
    It looks to me (but I'm a beginner) like that the last line of
    code from the spice project to be executed was
      spice-session.c:1616
    which invoked open_host_connectable_connect.

Thanks for reading. Suggestions warmly welcomed!  - Philip