[Spice-devel] Trouble running (compiling?) spice-gtk-0.15 on Ubuntu 12.10

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 05:40:05 PST 2013

----- Mensaje original -----
> Greetings. I'm new here, inexperienced in general, and looking for
> help
> squashing segfaults in spice-gtk-0.15. Details follow.
>
> I'm trying to compile and run spice-gtk-0.15 from the git
> repositories,
> working in Ubuntu 12.10. It may be relevant that I recently did a
> system-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04. Also, in the repository viewable at
>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/tree/
> [and the corresponding .tar.gz file] the directory 'spice-common' is
> empty. So I just copied the directory of the same name from my local
> copy of spice-gtk-0.14.

The git tarball doesn't contains the submodule. It is recommended to do a git clone && ./autogen.sh to get the submodules checkout out properly.

> Then running "spicy --spice-debug" produces the results shown at
>    http://pastebin.com/HWHq1jKs

That's a recent regression I introduced, it is fixed in git (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/commit/?id=5ed7f06e7c7a9fa9c6b0411debd43793335068ec) and an up to date tarball is available at http://spice-space.org/download/gtk/spice-gtk-LATEST.tar.bz2

0.16 will be released this week with the fix.

> I would appreciate your suggestions. Some highlights to save you
> reading
> all 1011 lines from pastebin:
>   * On launch, spicy reports its version as "UNKNOWN".
>     (This seems odd -- could it be a symptom of something?)

That's because you are not running from a autogenerated tarball, nor from git. The git tarball doesn't have version information.

> Thanks for reading. Suggestions warmly welcomed!  - Philip

It's a good idea to verify if the bug is still present in git master. Please tell us if you have any problem with the last tarball or with spice-gtk from git.

Thanks