[Spice-devel] [video-qxl 2/2] Default to only one head, not 4.

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 22 05:34:01 PST 2013

> BTW reading patch 1 again, I wonder what exactly it tries to solve, since
> currently when using spice with qemu (no experience with x-spice) you can
> already set modes > 1024x768 without problems.

This will teach me to set down a patch for a few months while I work
on other things :-(.

I was in pretty deep to the X code, and I felt at the time that patch 1
was correct, and an good improvement.  In fact, I think it does
what you are hoping for - set the preferred flag for the desired default mode
of 1024x768.  I even harbor a hope that it'll fix bug 894421.

And it is still very much the case that x-spice still cannot go higher
than 1024x768 without that patch.  And I am still finding that my fc17 vm
with an older qxl_driver cannot switch from running at 1024x768 to anything
higher.

I had a strong connection to the code path in X startup, and I recall feeling
that the driver code was not behaving correctly, and patch 1 fixed that.
However, the mists of time have dulled my recall, and I'm going to need
another day or so to dig back in to regain that clarity.

And, of course, I can no longer reproduce the problem that triggered
the second patch in this series (the NumHeads change), and, further, my fc17
vm with a more recent qxl_driver goes above 1024x768 without trouble.

So much for my credibility (not to mention my apparent sanity :-/).

I'm tied up today, but I'll try to regain my purported clarity, and I'll
try to share it in a more permanent form if I find it.

Cheers,

Jeremy