[Spice-devel] [video-qxl 2/2] Default to only one head, not 4.

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 06:05:25 PST 2013

> > BTW reading patch 1 again, I wonder what exactly it tries to solve,
> > since
> > currently when using spice with qemu (no experience with x-spice)
> > you can
> > already set modes > 1024x768 without problems.
>
> This will teach me to set down a patch for a few months while I work
> on other things :-(.
>
> I was in pretty deep to the X code, and I felt at the time that patch
> 1
> was correct, and an good improvement.  In fact, I think it does
> what you are hoping for - set the preferred flag for the desired
> default mode
> of 1024x768.  I even harbor a hope that it'll fix bug 894421.
>
> And it is still very much the case that x-spice still cannot go
> higher
> than 1024x768 without that patch.  And I am still finding that my
> fc17 vm
> with an older qxl_driver cannot switch from running at 1024x768 to
> anything
> higher.
>
> I had a strong connection to the code path in X startup, and I recall
> feeling
> that the driver code was not behaving correctly, and patch 1 fixed
> that.
> However, the mists of time have dulled my recall, and I'm going to
> need
> another day or so to dig back in to regain that clarity.
>
> And, of course, I can no longer reproduce the problem that triggered
> the second patch in this series (the NumHeads change), and, further,
> my fc17
> vm with a more recent qxl_driver goes above 1024x768 without trouble.
>
> So much for my credibility (not to mention my apparent sanity :-/).
>
> I'm tied up today, but I'll try to regain my purported clarity, and
> I'll
> try to share it in a more permanent form if I find it.

Not very related, only a bit, one nice to have feature that x-spice lacks is agent integration.
This will give you niceties like copy paste but also resolution change to match client window. I seem to recall a public thread between Hans and myself discussing this, it requires you dig into yet another project, spice-agent, but if you want to improve the resolution setting story I think it is a good direction (unless this is completely off and you prefer to set the resolution from the X side, in that case it buys you nothing).