[Spice-devel] "configure: error: At least one of spice or vnc must be used" on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 x64

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 02:42:48 PDT 2013

Hi,

Yannis Milios píše v Po 29. 07. 2013 v 17:52 +0300:
> Hello and thank you for this great software!
>
> I have Ubuntu 12.04 (x32 & x64bit) and I'm trying to make spice-client to
> work by using a gui tool like virt-viewer.
>
> What I have already done:
>
> 1. sudo apt-get install spice-client
> 2. sudo apt-get install spice-client-gtk
> 3. made a temp folder and then:
>
> wget
> http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/download/sources/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-0.5.6.tar.gz
>
> 4. tar xzvf virt-viewer-0.5.6.tar.gz and cd /virt-viewer-0.5.6
> 5. sudo

why on earth as root?

> ./configure and immediatelly after that I get the following message:

just guessing - shouldn't you also install appropriate -dev packages for
spice-gtk and gtk-vnc and invoke ./configure with appropriate
--enable-SOMETHING/--with-SOMETHING options? "--help" option to
configure is your friend...

If you're just after more recent virt-viewer build, why don't you take
source package from debian (with fix for
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=667565 ) and why don't
you just rebuild that? Purging manually-built packages from the system
once they get obsolete is big PITA in my experience...

David