[Spice-devel] Spice bug62033, Gnome bug 680195 rework: new inhibitors for desktop effects

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Nov 7 19:32:08 CET 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 22:25 +0400, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> Hi Bastein,
>
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On 11/02/2013 05:50 PM, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> >>
> >> Bastein, Hans,
> >>
> >> We need an agreement on this topic so I can implement something - and
> >> have it accepted in both Spice and Gnome eventually.
> >>
> >> There are 2 possible approaches conflicting here:
> >> (i) (spice-proposed) DEs to export API for toggling effects
> >> (preferable inhibitor-styled). Spice to actively use this API as it
> >> sees fit.
> >> (ii) (gnome-proposed) Spice to export API about its internal state,
> >> DEs to recognize Spice and use that API as they want (e.g. disable
> >> effects).
> >>
> >> Both approaches can work, and second one seems to be easier to
> >> implement for Spice/Gnome stack.
> >> Main arguments pro (i):
> >> 1. It seems right for Spice to be in an active position, deciding what
> >> to do. DEs are merely environments providing APIs and means for
> >> applications to achieve their goals.
> >> 2. Spice aims to support many DEs, not only Gnome (mainly under
> >> freedesktop, ofc). Making other DEs to recognize Spice usage and
> >> implement appropriate logic seems to be incorrect approach, which may
> >> be not acceptable from their PoV.
> >>
> >> To address Bastein's concern about new inhibitors: we want them to be
> >> system ones, similar to existing idle and other inhibitors. Not
> >> something in the user space of Spice. They should be useful for other
> >> remoting applications like VNC, and maybe some other apps (cannot
> >> think up other real use cases right now).
> >

> > Either way works for me, with a slight preferences for having inhibitors.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hans
>
> Bastein, how much are you against Spice-proposed approach? If I can
> reduce your concerns, I'm willing to do so...

I'm not interested in adding a layer of "inhibitors" on top of something
that supposed to be simple. As long as I have something that exports the
whether or not SPICE is being used and/or too slow, I can implement the
necessary code in gnome-settings-daemon.

FWIW, this is the API that g-s-d uses for VNC connections, when Vino is
used:
$ gdbus introspect --session --dest org.gnome.Vino --object-path /org/gnome/vino/screens/0
<snip>
  interface org.gnome.VinoScreen {
    methods:
    signals:
    properties:
      readonly s ExternalHost = '';
      readonly q ExternalPort = 0;
      readonly s AvahiHost = 'nuvo.local';
      readonly s Host = '192.168.0.14';
      readonly q Port = 5900;
      readonly b Connected = false;
  };
<snip>

We just look at the "Connected" value. I'm looking for something
just about as simple for Spice.

Cheers