[Spice-devel] spice-gtk how to use opengl

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Nov 20 02:34:30 PST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Old spicec can use canvas type "gl_fbo and gl_pbuff" . But when i connect to
> spice server , spicec core dumped and print "Spice-Warning **:
> ../spice-common/common/canvas_base.c:1145:canvas_get_image_internal: should
> not be reached".

How did you compile spice, do you have OpenGL: yes in configure log? Can you get a backtrace of this warning? (break at canvas_base.c:1145)

> In addition, spice gtk can't choose canvas type. So spice gtk how to use
> opengl. Thank you!

Spice-gtk currently doesn't support opengl canvas. It may have some support added in the next year (for local virgil support).

However, don't expect better performance from using the gl canvas today (it's ~2x time slower on my laptop). The 2d canvas code isn't probably fitting the gpu very well. (too much upload/read of textures, not enough batching, old gl code lacking optimization etc.)