[Spice-devel] hardcoded NUM_DRAWABLES too small

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 14:19:10 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

> I just detected that my simple spiceterm generates more than
>
> 1000 drawables, so alloc_drawable() always fail.
>

> The effect is that I always draw twice (on server and at client)!

This is an area I am newbie ;)

Isn't the server always drawing anyway at some point?

Isnt't the 1000 drawables limit just slowing down the caller (guest/vm side), to leave time for clients to process all drawables in the pipes.

What alternative do you propose?

> I guess one would see the same effect when running a xterm inside a VM,
> because
>
> a terminal has a size of 80x25 characters, which gives 2000 different
> regions.
>

> What is the suggested way to avoid such things?

I'll let someone else reply suggestion, as I don't know myself.

> Also, I don’t think I need the rendered content on the server side for
> spiceterm (why?).

> So is it possible to disable server side rendering at all?

If you don't have client connected or for reconnection, you still want complete rendering ready, no?

Perhaps the display tree is clever enough to avoid the complete rendering. (perhaps that's the main reason it exists). But then you still need to limit somehow the amount of memory the server holds for all those drawables, otherwise, it makes more sense to just render them in the primary surface.

hope that helps,