[Spice-devel] [patch 0/2] vdagent KEYVAL extension

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 17:04:11 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> > > So the following message could in fact replace all existing messages for
> > keyboard input:
> > >
> > >      message {
> > >        uint32 keyval;
> > >        uint32 scancode;
> > >        keyboard_keyval_flags flags;
> > >     } @ctype(SpiceMsgcKeyKeyval) key_keyval;
> > >

> > Let's keep the messages seperate, as only one or the other will be used by
> > the
> > remote.
>
> Sorry, I do not understand that?
>
> > Btw, scancode sequences can be arbitrary long in the current protocol.
> > (there are scancode of 3-bytes out-there, even though we haven't really
> > tested
> > or supported them so far afaik)
>
> Ok, so I will add more space for scancodes. I have further optimized my
> patch,
> and I currently use:
>
>       message {
>         uint32 keysym;
>         uint32 scancode_down;
>         uint32 scancode_up;
>     } @ctype(SpiceMsgcKeyX11Keysym) key_x11_keysym;
>
> There is no need for flags, because

The flags you proposed allow to sychronize with server other modifiers keys, why did you drop that?

> scancode_down != 0  >> DOWN
> scancode_up != 0  >> UP
>
> Scancode length is easily comutable (code[0] == 0xe0 ....)

This is particularly weird. Really, you shouldn't put scancode this way.

> This new message can completely replace all other keyboard messages.

No, it won't. There is no need to change the current protocol for VM usage.

It will be an optional change, based on capabilities of server.