[Spice-devel] spice html5 keyboard issues

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 21:50:49 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> > > Besides, I still not understand how that should work. You (Marc) told
> > > me that it is easy to get the correct scancodes, but the sources
> > > contain the following comment:
> >
> > Did I? I don't remember the context.
>
> Again, my keysym patches provides a workaround for that problem.

sigh, I know.

> > > "** This will most likely not work for non US keyboard .."
> > >
> > > I am confused.
> >
> > The main issue is that spice-html5 doesn't know what hw key was pressed, or
> > the
> > keyboard mapping. So it translates the key to a scancode, based on
> > traditional
> > US keyboard mapping. The spanish keyboard is relatively close to US
> > keyboard,
> > so that mostly works. But it can give very wrong results otherwise (for ex,
> > french
> > keyboard, pressing 'a' in client will result in 'q' in guest, when both are
> > configured
> > with french layout).
>
> Seems you still not understand how my keysym patches can solve that problem
> :-/

I understand. you are sending keysym, and avoid the layout and hw scancode... But Spice, in general, is talking to a VM, and currently only via scancodes.

Quite clearly, I understand that using the agent and XTest, input-methdod or accessible-technology will avoid the hw layer altogether. We thought about that long before you proposed your extension...