[Spice-devel] spice html5 keyboard issues

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Oct 19 07:49:20 CEST 2013

> I understand. you are sending keysym, and avoid the layout and hw scancode...
> But Spice, in general, is talking to a VM, and currently only via scancodes.
>
> Quite clearly, I understand that using the agent and XTest, input-methdod or
> accessible-technology will avoid the hw layer altogether. We thought about that
> long before you proposed your extension...

You do not need the agent and directly inject keysyms to solve this.

All you need is to extend the spice protocol with the ability to send keycodes.
If you have that, you can use the existing code in qemu to translate keysyms
to scancodes (the code is already there for VNC).

While this is not perfect, it would be far better than what we have now.