[Spice-devel] spice html5 keyboard issues

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 16:10:19 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
>> I understand. you are sending keysym, and avoid the layout and hw scancode...
>> But Spice, in general, is talking to a VM, and currently only via scancodes.
>>
>> Quite clearly, I understand that using the agent and XTest, input-methdod or
>> accessible-technology will avoid the hw layer altogether. We thought about that
>> long before you proposed your extension...
>
> You do not need the agent and directly inject keysyms to solve this.
>
> All you need is to extend the spice protocol with the ability to send keycodes.
> If you have that, you can use the existing code in qemu to translate keysyms
> to scancodes (the code is already there for VNC).
>
> While this is not perfect, it would be far better than what we have now.

"Far better", in what way? Wouldn't it have the same limitations,
using a us layout -> scancode table? I know it's configurable at qemu
side, but that's not per client, so it would be US anyway.

And the fact that qemu supports keycode->scancode isn't solving the
problem at the spice level. There are other servers than qemu.

Also HTML key events are not x11 keysyms afaik, so you'll need an
additional table.

--
Marc-André Lureau