[Spice-devel] oVirt support in aSPICE stalled due to broken network file I/O

i iordanov iiordanov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 10:11:45 PDT 2013

Hi Christophe,

It is currently very hard, bordering on impossible to build gvfs for
Android, because it ends up depending on GTK. The sequence of
dependencies is:

glib network I/O -> gvfs -> libsoup-gnome -> gnome-keyring -> gcr-3 ->
gcr-ui-3 -> GTK

The glib guys are arguing that this is not a bug, since it's just a
dependency that's missing, but I am trying to convince them that the
low-level glib should not end up depending on a UI library...

Hence for the moment, I absolutely cannot use glib network I/O. Can
you tell me, since you've written libgovirt, do you think it's
possible to add functionality to *it* rather than writing workarounds
for client software? I could work around this issue in aSPICE, but
that would not help for any other client on any other platform that
doesn't have GTK.

Regardless of whether you do agree it's best if govirt either stopped
relying on glib network file I/O or had an option to use a different
method, what library would you say would be best suited to replace all
the network file I/O operations that you have in govirt with a
download -> local file I/O sequence? Libcurl comes to mind, but
perhaps libsoup is better suited for the purpose in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Sincerely,
iordan