[Spice-devel] oVirt support in aSPICE stalled due to broken network file I/O

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 10:20:32 PDT 2013

Hey Iordan,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 01:11:45PM -0400, i iordanov wrote:
> Hi Christophe,
>
> It is currently very hard, bordering on impossible to build gvfs for
> Android, because it ends up depending on GTK. The sequence of
> dependencies is:
>
> glib network I/O -> gvfs -> libsoup-gnome -> gnome-keyring -> gcr-3 ->
> gcr-ui-3 -> GTK
>
> The glib guys are arguing that this is not a bug, since it's just a
> dependency that's missing, but I am trying to convince them that the
> low-level glib should not end up depending on a UI library...
>
> Hence for the moment, I absolutely cannot use glib network I/O. Can
> you tell me, since you've written libgovirt, do you think it's
> possible to add functionality to *it* rather than writing workarounds
> for client software? I could work around this issue in aSPICE, but
> that would not help for any other client on any other platform that
> doesn't have GTK.
>
> Regardless of whether you do agree it's best if govirt either stopped
> relying on glib network file I/O or had an option to use a different
> method, what library would you say would be best suited to replace all
> the network file I/O operations that you have in govirt with a
> download -> local file I/O sequence? Libcurl comes to mind, but
> perhaps libsoup is better suited for the purpose in your opinion?

Could you try what I suggested in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2013-September/014430.html
? I think gvfs is only used if you use the helpers to fetch the
certificate, and the rest of the code is just doing calls into
librest/libsoup which I think are not using gio/gvfs.
If this is a correct, then I think it's not a big issue that you don't have
gvfs on your platform. If it is, I'll have to look where/how it's used to
figure out how to workaround this.

Hope that helps,