[Spice-devel] multi monitor not working

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Mon Sep 23 08:28:42 PDT 2013

On 08/20/2013 09:21 AM, David Mansfield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get two displays working.  Host and guest are fully
> updated Fedora 19 (x86_64).
>
> When I open the second display using the menu in remote-viewer, it
> comes up black.
>
> As soon as I run "xrandr" (with NO options) from the command line, the
> desktop extends to twice the width, but what appears in the second
> monitor is the ENTIRE desktop, i.e. the contents of both "outputs" in
> xrandr speak.  xrandr output shows the correct values.
>
> If I continue opening and closing displays using remote-viewer menu it
> seems there's always one which is "the entire desktop", and the next
> one seems ok.
>
> If I attempt to change video mode (using xrandr) on any of the
> displays, spice "hangs" (all connections say waiting for connection to
> graphics server) and CPU utilization goes to 100% in guest. A reboot
> of the guest is necessary to resolve this.
>
> Also, actual mouse position is offset up and left from displayed mouse
> position.

I'm still in this exact same position one month later.  Now I'm on F19
with virt preview repo, fully updated.

Same exact situation as above:
* second display displays entire desktop
* opening a third display moves the "entire desktop" from 2 to 3, and
display 2 shows correct area (display 2 area)
* attempting to change resolution of any monitor permanently (until VM
power cycle) crashes spice but not VM
* mouse cursor position is offset up and left from displayed position
(-8-8 maybe?)

I also get this error from remote-viewer: "only support monitor config
with primary surface 0, but given config surface 397"

Relevant qemu command line options (generated by libvirtd of course -
note: I have tweaked the memory many different ways in an attempt to fix):

-spice
port=5901,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing,plaintext-channel=main,plaintext-channel=inputs,seamless-migration=on
-device
qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=134217728,vram_size=134217728,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Mansfield
Cobite, INC.