[Spice-devel] Questions on usbredir + XSpice

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Aug 6 09:11:03 PDT 2014

On 08/06/2014 10:50 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 06:17 PM, Jeremy White wrote:
>>> I would advice against going for a protocol translater, your time would
>>> better spend on doing this properly right away.
>>
>> You don't think the kernel guys will push back, saying there is already
>> an existing ip-to-usb device, and we should just use that one?
>
> I'm not a kernel guy so not suggesting this is a kernel opinion, but I
> don't think it's in the kernel. I wonder why.

Well, it's tricky; it's in the staging tree, so it's not really in the
kernel (yet), but it does seem to be getting active work done on it.

The basic question that seems valid to me is:  why is the usbredir
protocol unique enough to deserve it's own kernel module?  Why can't it
just reuse the usb-ip protocol?

Cheers,

Jeremy