[Spice-devel] Help getting spice working

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 06:21:42 PST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:02:54PM +0100, rolf wrote:
> I am not able to work with spice as expected - primary with cut'n past -
> usb-access I will test later.
>
> With a windows (XP) guest I can do cut'n past with the Linux based
> workstation, but I am not able to do so with a Linux guest.
>
> Topology:
> - A remote server based on Debian wheezy. The machine is only accessible via
>   networt and has no graphical user interface. This server hosts virtual
>   machines (qemu-kvm current version i.e.> 2.0).
> - A workstation in another location also Debian wheezy based, with X11 and
>   Trinity as desktop environment runs spicec to connect to the VMs.
>
> The HowTo's in the internet let the followin questions open and I found no
> spice users maillist, so I ask on the developers list, even if it not the
> right place:
> - What has to be install in the server to handle the connections between the
>   workstation and the VMs?

On the server,to be able to connect to your VMs with SPICE, you need
a QEMU binary compiled with SPICE support (which will cause it to link
with spice-server).

> - What has to be installed in the guest - I followed the description from
>   http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/SPICE

For copy and paste, you need to have the SPICE guest agent installed in
the guest, plus the appropriate virtio-serial driver (which is part of
the upstream linux kernel these days, so should not be an issue).

> - What has to be installed in the workstation additional to the spice-client,
>   to establish connection between the server and the VM.

Only remote-viewer should be needed.

You might find more detailed information about all of this in
http://people.freedesktop.org/~teuf/spice-doc/html/

> - How can I debug the named problems?

Provided that you are using the same client machine/binary, and the same
server to run the Windows XP guest and the Debian guest, c&p working in
one guest and not the other would point at a guest issue.
You should have spice-vdagent and spice-vdagentd running in the Debian
VM if you want copy and paste to work.