[Spice-devel] Help getting spice working

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 06:23:33 PST 2014

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> I am not able to work with spice as expected - primary with cut'n past -
> usb-access I will test later.
>
> With a windows (XP) guest I can do cut'n past with the Linux based
> workstation, but I am not able to do so with a Linux guest.

Have you installed the spice-vdagent and xorg-x11-drv-qxl in your guest?
Please check http://www.spice-space.org/download.html as it is describe what is necessary in windows/linux guest machines.

> Topology:
> - A remote server based on Debian wheezy. The machine is only accessible via
>   networt and has no graphical user interface. This server hosts virtual
>   machines (qemu-kvm current version i.e.> 2.0).
> - A workstation in another location also Debian wheezy based, with X11 and
>   Trinity as desktop environment runs spicec to connect to the VMs.
>
> The HowTo's in the internet let the followin questions open and I found no
> spice users maillist, so I ask on the developers list, even if it not the
> right place:
> - What has to be install in the server to handle the connections between the
>   workstation and the VMs?
> - What has to be installed in the guest - I followed the description from
>   http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/SPICE
> - What has to be installed in the workstation additional to the spice-client,
>   to establish connection between the server and the VM.
>
> - How can I debug the named problems?

Which client are you using? With remote-viewer or spicy, you could add --spice-debug option in the command line

> Many thanks for your help
> Rolf

Best regards,
Victor Toso