[Spice-devel] Question on Windows

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 05:47:23 PDT 2014

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> Support,
> The Linux magazine article mentioned your product. Normally when I need a
> remote desktop, we use mstsc.exe. We have VPN connections that then allow
> the mstsc connection. I was on your download page and I would like to know
> for a Windows7 workstation on both ends, which downloads would I choose?
> So I get the client to server connection. Do you support a remote desktop for
> Windows7 to Windows7. If so, I need the client on my remote laptop. I am not

Sorry, we don't have such tools, to export a "normal" display.

(it would be an interesting project though)

> sure which product to use on the machine that I connect to. Can you explain?
> I am assuming that Windows7 is fine. I also need to connect to Server 2008
> and 2012.
> The Linux servers that we use and connect to could use a little explanation.
> Do I need to use qemu to connect to Linux?

qemu is an hypervisor, that you can run on a Linux host. It allows to run virtual machines, like a Windows OS, also called a guest.

Spice is a remote desktop protocol designed to work with virtual machines (although it can be used in other situations).

When you set up a virtual machine to use Spice, you need to configure the hypervisor (and should install some drivers in the guest for a better experience).

Then you can connect to it remotely with a Spice client, using the server ip/port location.

There are several Spice clients. The most advanced is virt-viewer. It is available on various Linux distributions, and for Windows too at http://virt-manager.org/download/

> Can you give me a simple list of downloads to use for Linux and Windows?
> Would you also have a standard configuration setting for Windows and Linux?

There are installer, such as spice-guest-tools, that will help you setup a Windows VM.

On Linux, you need to install the qxl driver and agent, depending on your distribution.

For a user-friendly installer, you may want to try GNOME Boxes. virt-manager is also a more advanced tool to setup and manage VMs.

> I am assuming that we still use the VPN to connect before we start a SPICE
> session. Correct?

If your server is on the VPN, yes.