[Spice-devel] Spice agent and LXC

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Nov 28 04:57:53 PST 2014

Hey,

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:27:00PM -0600, Charles Ricketts wrote:
> This simply adds the -f parameter to spice-vdagentd since
> /tmp/xspice-uinput is a pipe and not a character devices and, therefore,
> "fake." Without the parameter, spice-vdagend (pretty sure it was
> vdagentd) exits complaining about a bad ioctl. Using the modified Xspice
> allows me to copy/paste and automatic resolution switching.

Ah great to hear :)

> Getting it working with Xspice is definitely an accomplishment and I now
> know the caveats I need to fix within my LXC container. But first, my
> LXC setup depends on X starting with the qxlspice settings -- moving
> spiceqxl.xorg.conf to xorg.conf. In order to accomplish this I added the
> undocumented xorg.conf options: "SpiceVdagentEnabled" "0",
> "SpiceVdagentVirtioPath" "/tmp/xspice-virtio", "SpiceVdagentUinputPath"
> "/tmp/xspice-uinput" (taken from xf86-video-qxl/src/qxl_driver.c). Now I
> simply need to figure out how to get spice-vdagent and spice-vdagentd to
> start up alongside it, but that's another problem for another day.
> Overall, a huge success.
>
> But now, for Fedora. I'm unable to even get the QXL driver compiled for
> Fedora, unfortunately. I hit the following error when running `make`:
>
> ./configure: line 18133: syntax error near unexpected token `RANDR,'
> ./configure: line 18133: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(RANDR, randrproto)''

This is defined in /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-server.m4 which is part of
the xorg-x11-server-devel package. This kind of errors happens when
building from git (and running autogen.sh), and generally don't happen
when building from tarballs and using configure.

> Keep in mind, this is my first experience with Fedora, but I've
> installed every x11 devel and xrandr devel package I can find. I even
> used advice I found on another forum to use `yum groupinstall "X11
> Development Files"` (or some similar group name) to no avail. Oddly
> enough, I didn't have any issues with with compiling within my LXC
> container, but I'm not sure all the steps I took to set that up quite
> honestly. I even compared my installed packages with those from my LXC
> container, and they seem the same.
>
> # yum list '*x11*devel*'
> Installed Packages
> xorg-x11-proto-devel.noarch
> xorg-x11-server-devel.x86_64
> xorg-x11-xkb-utils-devel.x86_64
> xorg-x11-xtrans-devel.noarch

Ah, have you rerun autogen.sh after installing these packages?