[Spice-devel] Spice agent and LXC

Charles Ricketts githlar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 18:34:48 PST 2014

On 11/28/2014 07:00 AM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 12:03:59AM -0600, Charles Ricketts wrote:
>> Despite my problem with building within my VM environment, I went ahead
>> and attempted a Fedora LXC+Spice configuration. I'm happy to report it
>> was successful as well. The only change that had to be made was adding
>> the -f argument to the Xspice script to keep spice-vdagentd from
>> attempting ioctl ops on the uinput pipe created by the QXL driver. I'm
>> not sure why I didn't see this before, looks like I had mistakenly
>> forgotten to use --prefix=/usr on the vdagent source, so I was using the
>> distribution-provided version which doesn't have the -f option at all
>> and apparently doesn't print the "improper ioctl for device" error.
>> However, upon ensuring I was using the git versions of the vdagents and
>> the -f flag was added in Xspice, I was again successful!
>>
>> Hooray!
>>
>> Well, if nothing else, I hope this discussion helps somebody else
>> looking to accomplish the same task. And, even if it wasn't intended,
>> props to the developers for having the foresight in making the QXL
>> driver/Xspice and the agents flexible enough to use non-character
>> devices and therefore eliminating the reliance on a virtualized
>> environment. You guys rock!
>
> Well, thanks a lot for your patience and all the investigation you made!
> I'm still surprised it segfaults with the ubuntu packages. What version
> of spice-server is being used there? A backtrace with debugging symbols
> would still be great, I think you'd need to install the corresponding
> debug packages (I forgot how to do that on ubuntu), and then try to get
> a coredump or to run Xspice in gdb.
>
> Christophe
The segfault was simply a configuration error. it was dynamically
linking the distribution-provided libspice-server.so.1.8.0 rather than
the newly compiled libspice-server.so.1.9.0 due to the 1.8.0 version
having a higher precedence with ldconfig. After reordering the library
precedence to favor the new version it worked just fine.

Chuck R.