[Spice-devel] [vdagent-linux 1/2] randr: remove monitors.xml on auto-configuration

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 06:35:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com>
wrote:

> gnome2 is obsolete, not using client monitor config is getting obsolete,
> and removing a file which we don't own is a very heavy hammer,

A hammer? monitors.xml is a user config, safe to delete, "well-known" file
name (in gnomerr API reference)

We could link with libgnome-desktop and call
gnome_rr_config_get_intended_filename() instead, I thought that was
overkill for something that is hardcoded.

This file is not hidden or protected in any way, it doesn't use a private
namespace etc.

> especially since this file is used by mutter in GNOME3 as well, so no,
> let's not do that upstream.

we don't want to restore user config when vdagent config applies.
Fortunately, with gnome3 & drm driver, that code path is not triggered.

Having a random outcome is and a different output in upstream and
downstream is not better imho.

--
Marc-André Lureau