[Spice-devel] can spice use jpeg only

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 01:32:16 PDT 2014

Hey,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:35:43AM +0800, Aaron Zhang(张秉兆) wrote:
> Dears,
> When i am testing the spice, i found that spice seems only uses glz to
> compress the images. i want to decode the image by the VPU in the ARM,
> but glz decode isn't supported by VPU. so i want to let the spice
> transport images by jpeg.

One thing to keep in mind about glz vs jpeg is that jpeg is a lossy
codec which could give you visual artefacts. This will probably increase
the load server-side too.

>  i modified the reds.c and red_worker.c in the server. here it is:
> in red_worker.c
>   worker->jpeg_state =SPICE_WAN_COMPRESSION_ALWAYS(static void red_init(RedWorker *worker, WorkerInitData *init_data))
> in reds.c
> spice_wan_compression_t jpeg_state = SPICE_WAN_COMPRESSION_ALWAYS;

You probably can achieve this by passing -spice jpeg-wan-compression=always
on QEMU command line. I suspect this only triggers in WAN situations
(low bandwidth), but I never played with that option.