[Spice-devel] are there any new spice protocol document?

Dennis Chen atticcat at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 06:56:31 PDT 2015

Hi, Christophe
Thanks for the reply. I will read the information that you shared.

We are developing a cloud solution, the back-end is openstack.
We tried spice-html5 console by embedding openstack console page and found
the performance is not good.
We think using the native client might be faster than html5 and has more
features, however, we can't find any secure way to let native client
connect to internal VM (spice server).
(Say spice://192.168.1.2:5900 is a VM's internal connection url, 192.168.1.2
is internal, should't be public, and 5900 is also too simple to be guessed by
another user that another VM is 5901, or 5902 )

I am trying to write a spice-proxy to provide client to connect with a
dynamic password (a token, with timeout, created by our system when user
acquires console connection).
Then by the valid password(token), the spice-proxy gets the VM (spice
server) connection host-port, and channeling between client and internal VM.

So far, the experiment result is acceptable, it works fine between the last
remote-viewer (in Windows) and openstack(icehouse).
However, because of some data fields are not defined in 1.0 draft and I am
also new to spice,
so I can just mimic unknow fields (by using the value/length in the
real/direct connection),
and this makes this proxy very unstable with other version of client and
spice server.

Maybe there is another way to do this, help anyone could provide some idea.

/Dennis