[Spice-devel] Full featured (qxl compatible) spice web client released

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Dec 7 13:05:18 PST 2015

Hi Jose,

I have spent a fair amount of time using this client and reviewing it,
and I've got a number of comments for you.

There are a range of minor technical issues; you've got a hiddeninput in
your version that prevents use of a top strip of a window.  Removing
that fixes that easily.  Similarly, there is a graphicDebug section
which doesn't do any harm, but maybe shouldn't be on by default.

There isn't any automatic keyboard layout, so I have to manually switch
to the US keyboard layout; others might have to create their own
keyboard layout.

Non Spanish keyboards probably need some review; I note, for example,
that '^U' does not do what I crave (clear my terminal console).  I think
I'd argue for a bias of sending all keys across, as much as possible.

We've touched on the license issue.  It sounds like you plan to resolve
that nicely, but it'd be nice to see that.  To be honest, it's a little
worrying that you've been silent for a month now :-/.

In general, your client does seem faster and bit more broadly functional
than the current one.  For example, the current spice-html5 client has
an odd bug with Firefox on the Mac that yours does not have.  (IE 11
support in yours is a bit dodgy; although that's perhaps just because IE
11 is dodgy <grin>).  You've got support for a few more image formats
than the current spice-html5 client, I think particularly providing
better support for Windows guests.

There are a range of features found in the current spice-html5 client
that you are lacking; show/hide cursor, opus audio, drag + drop file
transfer.  Most of those should not be hard to implement.

You've also got some functionality that appears to reference non Spice
related functionality.  (For example, the whole 'bus' concept).  That's
a bit tricky in an open source project; it'd be nice to have the open
source client be purely about Spice, and any proprietary extensions or
hooks could be done as patches, or maybe via a plugin mechanism.

At any rate, I promised a more thoughtful review, and so here it is <grin>.

cheers,

Jeremy