[Spice-devel] windows guest file transfer -- am I using the correct howto?

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 09:14:56 PST 2015

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/04/2015 10:07 AM, John Griessen wrote:
> > So, next I will test if webdav is enabling file transfers.
>
> Still cannot get the webdav installer to completion:
> Windows 7 error message:
> Service 'Spice webdav proxy' (spice-webdavd) failed to start.
> Verify that you have sufficient privileges.

Can you provide your qemu command line when the guest is started by libvirt? (virsh start, ps aux | grep vmname)

There are really very few reason the service wouldn't start, my best guess is that the virtio channel is not visible in the guest. Is the spice vdagent working? Could you also try with a Linux guest, at least it's easy to enumerate the channels, you can ls /dev/virtio-ports.

> I double clicked this program in win7:

As admin? (I think the provided MSI ensures that already, but please double-check)

> http://elmarco.fedorapeople.org/spice-webdavd-x86-0.1.24.msi
> Which was packed up in a .iso image by genisoimage run on debian linux.
>
> Am I using the correct howto for file sharing or transfer?

There are nothing else, in theory, that's all you need. But the shared folder feature isn't widely used yet.

> This has gone on for days now, and I'd like to ask if I'm using the right
> instructions.
> I want file transfers between debian linux testing host and win7 guest.
> I started using virt-manager then dropped that when I hit this wall:
>
> https://elmarco.fedorapeople.org/manual.html#_folder_sharing
>
> "It’s currently not possible to configure folder sharing with virt-manager."

Actually, this is no longer true. You can add a webdav channel now:
https://elmarco.fedorapeople.org/Screenshot%20from%202015-02-04%2017:59:31.png

> Is this the instruction manual I should be using if I want to
> use virsh start, virt-viewer?  What other tutorials are good?

As you can see, the manual gives configuration instructions for plain qemu command line, libvirt domain xml or virt-manager.

Using virt-manager or libvirt domain XML shouldn't make a big difference since it relies on libvirt.

> Is there another way that is simpler such as using samba, and where are the
> best instructions
> for that way?

You can configure samba on a server (or your client machine) and access it from the VM, like any other Samba server. However, the server needs to be able to reach it via the network. Using Spice webdav channel don't requires the network, since all communication is routed to the client.

cheers