[Spice-devel] problem of endian process of glib

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 02:19:19 PST 2015

Hey,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 02:47:42PM +0800, jiangdahui wrote:
> Hi all:
>     we are trying to run spice client on 32-bit sparc CPU machine
>     which is big-endian, and the spice server is run on 64-bit x84 CPU
>     machine which is small-endian, I tried to do some modifying  on
>     client to adjust big endian to small endian before send to server,
>     but the strange is that for different datas, like 0x2, and
>     0x423704720, different endians should be used to let the server
>     get the expected value, I'm sure that the socket protocol has
>     adaptation for the endian difference,but as you know, we use glib
>     API to send data, so is it possible that the glib API has problem?

A big part of the procotol should be endian-safe (everything which goes
through the generated marshaller/demarshaller files). I expect at least
the initial connection to a channel to need some fixes
(spice_channel_recv_auth, spice_channel_send_link and similar methods).
Then I also expect more issues with the agent messages, but this needs
testing. Basically this setup (big endian <-> little endian) hasn't been
tested, so some debugging/fixing will be needed.

Patches to solve that are very welcome though ;)