[Spice-devel] jpeg problem

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 03:41:59 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 04:14:23PM +0800, 乱舞 wrote:
> hi,all:
>     When  I  transport images with jpeg in spice  to  reduce bandwidth.
> i modify the spice-server   red_worker.c
>
> worker->jpeg_state = SPICE_WAN_COMPRESSION_ALWAYS;
> it worked, but caused some image visual problems,
> if use jpeg ,there is a black rectangle In the upper left corner of lock screen(picture 1 inside the redline).
> and when i move the window there would be many black lines on the screen (picture 2)
> when use glz ,quic,or lz4, There would not be such a problem. But when I use jpeg ,the bandwidth would be lower,so I need to solve the problem.
> How to solve this problem ? because of  lossy ?

Well, yes, I think this only happens due the lossy compression.
It is hard to have a win-win situation with bandwidth, processing and
quality.

Javier sent a patch upstream where you can chose preferred image
compression by client's command line (--spice-preferred-compression)
I think it can be useful for you, to test the image quality over your
system requirements.

Cheers,
Victor Toso