[Spice-devel] 3D Support

Chris Harvey chris at chrisnharvey.com
Fri Jun 12 05:45:46 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

Many thanks for your replies.

Looks like you're making some great progress with 3D support.

I'm thinking about co-locating one of my servers into a data centre so I can travel using just my thin-client laptop and SPICE, but I'm not sure how well it will perform if it's not on the LAN.

Sent from my iPhone 6

> On 12 Jun 2015, at 10:02 am, Victor Toso <victortoso at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your interest in SPICE!
>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 01:46:42PM +0100, Chris Harvey wrote:
>> I currently use spice in my home. I have a server in my attic
>> which has several virtual machines running on it (Windows &
>> Linux). I then have some really low spec laptops and Raspberry
>> Pi's which I use as thin clients > to connect to the virtual
>> machines through spice.
>>
>> Pretty weird setup, but it works pretty well with HD video etc.
>
> That's very cool! I'm quite curious about Raspberry Pi as client for
> quite some time now, how is the user experience?

The Raspberry Pi 2 I've managed to turn into a pretty good thin client. It's running a custom version of Debian Jessie with virt-viewer and IceWM as a minimal window manager.

I tried with a Raspberry Pi Model B, but the performance was a bit flakey.

>> The only thing missing is support for 3D, primarily for desktop
>> effects such as Aero or gnome shell.
>>
>> Has there been much progress with 3D support, if so, is there any
>> experimental spice build that I could try out? Do you think we'll
>> ever see gaming through spice?
>
> This depends more on QEMU-side by having the right bits upstream [0]
> but it will probably take while.
>
> [0] https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2015/04/virtio-gpu-and-virgl-status-update/

Makes sense. Many thanks for the link.