[Spice-devel] 3D Support

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 02:19:14 PDT 2015

  Hi,

> > Has there been much progress with 3D support, if so, is there any
> > experimental spice build that I could try out? Do you think we'll
> > ever see gaming through spice?
>
> This depends more on QEMU-side by having the right bits upstream [0]
> but it will probably take while.
>
> [0] https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2015/04/virtio-gpu-and-virgl-status-update/

To clarify:  This is NOT qxl.  Also initially it will work locally only
(i.e. with guest and viewer running on the same machine) because it'll
pass around dma-bufs.

It is not clear yet how to handle remote support best.  One option is to
encode the guest display as video stream and send it over.  Problem with
this is existing gpu hardware tends to support H.264 encoding only, and
that is a patent minefield ...

cheers,
  Gerd