[Spice-devel] [client 07/11] build-sys: Allow simultaneous support for Pulse and GStreamer audio

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Sun Nov 8 10:39:11 PST 2015

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
[...]
> > -AC_ARG_WITH([audio],
> > -  AS_HELP_STRING([--with-audio=@<:@gstreamer/pulse/auto/no@:>@], [Select audio backend @<:@default=auto@:>@]),
> > +AC_ARG_ENABLE([pulse],
> > +  AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-pulse=@<:@yes/auto/no@:>@], [Enable the PulseAudio backend @<:@default=auto@:>@]),
>
> Imo it would be a less disruptive change if we changed '--with-audio=auto' to
> enable both GStreamer and PulseAudio if the needed .pc files are
> available. Removing --with-audio and replacing it with
> --enable-pulseaudio/--enable-gstreamer means anyone using --with-audio
> will need to update its build scripts.

The drawback of --with-audio=auto is that it makes it impossible to
require having support for both PulseAudio and GStreamer. That is unlike
'./configure --enable-pulse --enable-gstaudio' it will not print an
error if one of them is not available.

(and something like --with-audio=pulse,gstreamer feels wrong and would
be very non standard)

Would keeping --with-audio as a temporary frontend for the two enable
options be ok? It could print a warning to remind developers it's
deprecated?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>