[Spice-devel] MediaRedirection

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Mon Dec 12 11:52:36 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:15:53 +0800
Kenny Zhang <ahrimanghost at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> Recently I used spice as remote viewer with Qemu, it's powerful.
> Compared with freerdp, the video player, only support media player,
> it's limited, and I get yours MediaRedirection(
> https://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/MediaRedirection), it's

According to the wiki page the feature is in concept phase without any
design details so feel free to propose a design

> cost much CPU usage, seems is too heavy. So I want to base your
> design. and change a little, to develop another one, here is my mind.
> 1. Guest OS have a media server that communicate with spice server.
> 2. Guest OS can support and developed video player communicate with
> media server(player send demux data and its position & size to spice
> client via spice server, and other control command).
> 3. Spice client decode data and playing.

That's what the proposed feature is about but nobody has even shown a
viable detailed design of the guest, client, and server (if any)
components. The server would be responsible only for opening a new
channel. The heavy lifting would happen on client side and the guest
side has to merely agree on features with client. However, to support
applications not specifically designed for spice you will probably want
a media 'decoder' driver in the guest that sends the data over to the
client instead of decoding in the guest.

Thanks

Michal