[Spice-devel] [spice-server v2 8/9] reds: add support to ranks for video codecs

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 13:14:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:18:48AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:18:45AM +0100, Victor Toso wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 05:23:28PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > >
> > > My main problem with introducing the priority now is that we have
> > > potential uses for it in the future, but I don't think we have users for
> > > it right now. So maybe it will be the right thing to do when these
> > > potential uses materialize, maybe we will want to approach things
> > > differently.
> >
> > I agree that we might want to handle things differently in the future
> > but I don't see why this would limit it to have it now and improve it
> > later.
>
> The reason why I'm being conservative here is that as soon as you expose
> this as an admin setting which can be tweaked externally, then it
> becomes ABI. And I'm not really comfortable with setting in stone an ABI
> for which we don't have a user at the moment.
>
> Christophe

I still think this was already introduced and we are only trying to
improve it :)

But fine. Before I split it up, what should be the expected behavior
when a preferred video-codec message is received?

Trying to come up with a simple example:

Host has (before client's message)

 spice:mjpeg - gstreamer:mjpeg - gstreamer:vp8 - gstreamer:h264

Client sends:

 vp8, h264, mjpeg

Possible results:

1) Client has preference:
  gstreamer:vp8 - gstreamer:h264 - spice:mjpeg - gstreamer:mjpeg

2) Client is ignored:
  spice:mjpeg - gstreamer:mjpeg - gstreamer:vp8 - gstreamer:h264

In (1), Admin must remove encoder:video-codec that he does not want to
be used.

In (2), we might need something else that I can see to make this useful
without the priority part. Maybe a runtime flag for testing purposes
only... SPICE_ENABLE_PREFERRED_VIDEO_CODEC or something.

Thanks,
  toso