[Spice-devel] Blurry spice-widget

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 12:37:08 UTC 2016

On St, 2016-12-21 at 02:57 +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Since spicy is gtk3, it supports HiDPI scaling of widgets, which is
> great. The menus and icons are all in beautiful proportion, scaled up
> 2x, since I'm on a 192-dpi screen. Yay.
>
> However, the spice-widget.c view of the Windows 10 VM, which is
> showing what's essentially a bitmap stream, is also scaled 2x. Scaling
> a bitmap 2x makes everything look blurry and awful. The solution is
> for spice-widget.c *not* to scale up 2x. This widget should always be
> at 1x.
>
> Example: my 15 inch laptop screen has a resolution of 3840x2160.

You're actually on 294 dpi screen :)

sqrt(3840**2 + 2160**2) / 15
293.7209560109731

>  All
> icons and menus of Gtk programs are correctly scaled at 2x. At full
> screen, when the spice-widget view is scaled at 2x, it reports to
> Windows 10 over spice that it only is 1920x1080. Windows 10 renders as
> such. Then this 1920x1080 view is scaled up by 2x. This is incorrect
> behavior. The correct behavior would be for the spice-widget to render
> at 1x, and at full screen to report to Windows 10 that it is
> 3840x2160, and then scale the Windows 10 view by 1x (no scaling).
>
> Is this something that might be possible? Otherwise, spice-gtk won't
> be suitable for HiDPI screens.

This is actually good RFE that can work for different cases both by
extending the normal-DPI guest screen (for older guest systems or apps
that don't need good grahpics - to save bandwidth) or by conveying the
actual DPI to the guest to make all your screen real-estate usable.

David