[Spice-devel] Multiple monitors for a windows virtual machine where each is to be displayed on a different client (for a windows 10 virtual machine)

ptroy at jgh.mcgill.ca ptroy at jgh.mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 26 04:19:37 UTC 2016

Hi!

I have a server (in my basement) running windows 10 as a virtual machine.
I would like the windows virtual machine to have 3 virtual displays (or at
least 2), and I would like to display the frist virtual display on the
monitor on the first machine in my office, the second virtual display on
the monitor of the second machine in my office, and the third virtual
display on the monitor of the third machine in my office.  All three
machines in my office are running Lubuntu and have spice-client-gtk on them
(I am running Lubuntu 16.04 so spice-client-gtk contains spicy).  I am
using qemu-system-x86_64 to run the windows virtual machine, and I have two
virtual displays working, but they are both displaying on the monitor of
one of the machines in my office.

Is there a way for me to tell (possibly by using different port numbers and
spice options in the parameter list for qemu-system-x86_64) so that each
virtual display is directed to a different physical machine?

I have listed my command line below (with an attempt to use two references
to spice, which didn't work).

THANKS . . .

Phil

P.S.  I am also curious whether I am using image compression and video
compression in a sensible manner.

# Start qemu-system asynchronously
qemu-system-x86_64 \
  -enable-kvm \
  -machine pc,accel=kvm \
  -drive file=/mnt/Windows10Image/Windows10Guest.img,if=virtio \
  -drive
file=/home/troyware1/InstallFiles/Windows10H64/Windows10H64Install.iso,media=cdrom
 \
  -drive
file=/home/troyware1/InstallFiles/Windows10H64/virtio-win-0.1.118.iso,media=cdrom
 \
  -net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=56:44:45:30:31:35 \
  -net user \
  -cpu host \
  -vga qxl \
  -spice
port=5900,disable-ticketing,image-compression=glz,zlib-glz-wan-compression=always
 \
  -device qxl \
  -spice
port=5951,disable-ticketing,jpeg-wan-compression=always,zlib-glz-wan-compression=always
 \
  -uuid 8373c3d6-1e6c-f022-38e2-b94e6e14e170 \
  -smp cpus=3,maxcpus=6 \
  -m 8192 \
  -name TroyWare1Win7VM \
  -localtime \
  -k en-us \
  -usb -usbdevice tablet &

Philip M. Troy, Ph.D.

Analytics Conseiller principal
Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux du
Centre-Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal
Phil.Troy.CCOMTL at ssss.gouv.qc.ca

professeur adjoint de chirurgie
Université McGill