[Spice-devel] Multiple monitors for a windows virtual machine where each is to be displayed on a different client (for a windows 10 virtual machine)

Pavel Grunt pgrunt at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 08:42:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, 2016-07-26 at 00:19 -0400, ptroy at jgh.mcgill.ca wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a server (in my basement) running windows 10 as a virtual machine.  I
> would like the windows virtual machine to have 3 virtual displays (or at least
> 2)

That is not a problem, you just need to add more '-vga qxl -device qxl'
http://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html#_multiple_monitor_support

> , and I would like to display the frist virtual display on the monitor on the
> first machine in my office, the second virtual display on the monitor of the
> second machine in my office, and the third virtual display on the monitor of
> the third machine in my office.

So 1 virtual machine & 3 clients - for that you would need to enable
"Simultaneous clients connection" which is an EXPERIMENTAL feature:
http://www.spice-space.org/multiple-clients.html

All the clients will receive the same stuff (all will get 3 displays, but you
can "hide" some windows).

> All three machines in my office are running Lubuntu and have spice-client-gtk
> on them (I am running Lubuntu 16.04 so spice-client-gtk contains spicy).

You would need remote-viewer (it has multi-monitor support) for that. You can
find it in the virt-viewer package - the latest version is remote-viewer 4.0

>  I am using qemu-system-x86_64 to run the windows virtual machine, and I have
> two virtual displays working, but they are both displaying on the monitor of
> one of the machines in my office.
>
> Is there a way for me to tell (possibly by using different port numbers and
> spice options in the parameter list for qemu-system-x86_64) so that each
> virtual display is directed to a different physical machine?
>
> I have listed my command line below (with an attempt to use two references to
> spice, which didn't work).

use just one

> THANKS . . .
>
> Phil
>
> P.S.  I am also curious whether I am using image compression and video
> compression in a sensible manner.

Looks good, but you can experiment with it :)

Recent versions of spice-gtk and spice-server have support for changing image
compression from the client using '--spice-preferred-compression'

Regards,
Pavel