[Spice-devel] RFC: XSpice shift to an 'x11spice' approach

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 29 10:43:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016, Jeremy White wrote:
[...]

> Hi folks,
>
> As you know, I've done a lot of work on XSpice over the past few years.
>  I plan to take a new approach by following the model of the excellent
> 'x11vnc' client.
[...]
> What do others think?  What am I over looking?

One of the big features of Spice is being able to transport the audio
channel. However it seems like this relies on being able to set PULSE*
variables in the environment of the processes running in the X session.
That would not be possible when connecting to an existing X11 session.
Would alternative mechanism be able to compensate?

Spice can also remote other resources but I don't have a sense of how
much those would be impacted.

Also, would that mean that the Xspice script would become a wrapper for
starting an X session and the related x11spice client?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>