[Spice-devel] RFC: XSpice shift to an 'x11spice' approach

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 30 16:01:26 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 05:43 AM, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2016, Jeremy White wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> As you know, I've done a lot of work on XSpice over the past few years.
>>  I plan to take a new approach by following the model of the excellent
>> 'x11vnc' client.
> [...]
>> What do others think?  What am I over looking?
>
> One of the big features of Spice is being able to transport the audio
> channel. However it seems like this relies on being able to set PULSE*
> variables in the environment of the processes running in the X session.
> That would not be possible when connecting to an existing X11 session.
> Would alternative mechanism be able to compensate?

I think Pulse provides enough tools that it should be possible to come
up with a way to transport audio.

Of course, nothing keeps you from completely replicating the current
functionality; with an x11spice you would still be able to set up a
dummy xorg and control it's start up environment.

> Spice can also remote other resources but I don't have a sense of how
> much those would be impacted.
>
> Also, would that mean that the Xspice script would become a wrapper for
> starting an X session and the related x11spice client?

I don't think I would change Xspice; I think I would just add a new
'x11spice' utility.

Cheers,

Jeremy