[Spice-devel] spice-vdagent-win 0.8.0 release

Thorsten Kohfeldt thorsten.kohfeldt at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 09:07:58 UTC 2016

Am 07.11.2016 um 09:10 schrieb Christophe Fergeau:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 08:48:48PM +0100, Thorsten Kohfeldt wrote:
>>> Binary builds can be found at
>>> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/teuf/spice-mingw/build/473299/
>>
>> Nice offer,
>> but I'm a little confused by that plethora of choices:
>>
>> 3 target releases (F23, F24, rawhide), 2 architectures (x86, x64),
>> each of them providing 2 _Windows_ binaries (vdservice.exe, vdagent.exe) ...
>> ... which should be equivalent ? ...
>> ... usable on Win-(any)-x86 AND Win-(any)-x64 ?
>
> Yeah, that's a fair point, from my side, I only issued one command and
> only uploaded a single srpm, but the copr is configured to build on 3
> different distros. The difference in binary content is expected as they
> were built against different toolchains (respectively the one which is
> in each of these distros).

Which is nice if you want to hunt tool chain bugs, but makes support
an ugly business because of version uncertainties.
BTW,
_all_ binaries' details state 'Version 0.5.1.0, copyright RH 2009'.
Here it would make sense to auto update with the build number, right ?

> I've disabled all the various builders now and only kept f25 x86-64. For
> now, I would pick one of the f24 builds.

Bad luck,
I tested Win10/x86 with the F23/x86 build and the rawhide/x86 build.

Screen resize / auto guest resolution adaption seems to work (depending
on manual choice of F23 libvirt spice viewer menu settings) as well as
copy/paste of text guest->host and host->guest.

NO improvement on mouse sluggishness though.

Are there more topics to test / what else does spice VDA provide ?

>> But:
>> I rpm2cpio-ed them all and those binaries all differ from each other.
>>
>> Which pair of (vdservice.exe, vdagent.exe) would make it into the
>> Win-installer on spice-space ?

Would it be possible to add a post processing step to the build chain(s)
which rpm2cpio-extracts the 4 relevant binaries (service and agent in x86
and x64) into a single zip file (or maybe even skip the rpm2cpio but pack
the binaries directly after they were built),
so that zip file can be downloaded directly by the Windows guest ?

>> Or would we even get those released on the next Fedorapeople ISO (where
>> I currently cannot find them) ?
>
> Getting these on virtio-win ISO was discussed a bit, but never moved
> forward.

I would really love to see that happen, i.e provision of the 4 binaries
I mentioned above in my rpm2cpio -> zip request (here raw, not zipped).

That would allow to install Win drivers, Ballon Service and Spice VDAgent
consistently from one source without having to use the sledge hammer
Spice-Guest-Tools-1.xx.msi (or exe ?) from spice space.
Spice VDAgent seems to be the one missing set of key binaries on that ISO.

Regards,

Thorsten