[Spice-devel] [vdagent-win 1/2] build: Automatically update version/copyright in .rc files

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 16:44:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 11:26:25AM -0500, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> > Ping?
> >
> > Christophe
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 11:21:59AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > > The versions/copyright in vdservice.rc and vdagent.rc are very outdated.
> > > Updating them automatically at configure time should ensure they are
> > > updated more often.
> > > The generated .rc files are kept in git as they are needed for VC++
> > > builds.
>
> I don't like this idea.
>
> Why instead you don't use an include file and you put a template .h file?
> So you generate the include and VC will do the same in some way?

I don't know much about .rc files, no idea whether stuff can be included
in them or not, no idea if I can use variables in the .rc files instead
of raw numbers, ... And the whole point of the approach is that I don't
need to think about autogenerating the file with VC. It will just get
updated once in a while when someone builds with mingw and notices the
git tree is not clean.

Maybe there are alternative approaches, but you'd have to give me more
details if you want me to explore them further :)

> Also it's hard to edit these files from Windows as it rely on file
> extensions (so renaming .rc -> .rc.in won't work).

I don't expect the .rc.in file to be edited on Windows (the .rc file
hasn't been modified in 7 years)