[Spice-devel] [vdagent-win 1/2] build: Automatically update version/copyright in .rc files

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 09:39:05 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 11:26:25AM -0500, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > >
> > > Ping?
> > >
> > > Christophe

> > I don't like this idea.
> >
> > Why instead you don't use an include file and you put a template .h file?
> > So you generate the include and VC will do the same in some way?
>
> I don't know much about .rc files, no idea whether stuff can be included
> in them or not, no idea if I can use variables in the .rc files instead
> of raw numbers, ... And the whole point of the approach is that I don't
> need to think about autogenerating the file with VC. It will just get
> updated once in a while when someone builds with mingw and notices the
> git tree is not clean.
>
> Maybe there are alternative approaches, but you'd have to give me more
> details if you want me to explore them further :)
>
> > Also it's hard to edit these files from Windows as it rely on file
> > extensions (so renaming .rc -> .rc.in won't work).
>
> I don't expect the .rc.in file to be edited on Windows (the .rc file
> hasn't been modified in 7 years)
>
> Christophe

It's a lot of time I don't use rc files extensively but surely include
files are supported. I think the GNU rc compiler implementation uses
the standard C preprocessor while if I remember correctly the
preprocessor used by VS for rc files is a bit less powerful.
Would be great of the VS project could use the same versioning schema.
I think actually it's using git tags. I'll try today to test the bare
include (without automatically generate from git tag).

Frediano