[Spice-devel] vdagent: Spelling and case fixes in comments

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 7 09:38:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
[...]
> > -       pointing to a non existing window. */
> > +       pointing to a nonexistent window. */
>

> Unsure about this one, I'll let a native speaker tell us what we should
> use here.

"nonexistent" is definitely a valid word:

  https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/nonexistent
  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/nonexistent

It's also used as a suggested correction in Lintian's typo checker
(Lintian is a Debian package QA tool):

  https://github.com/Debian/lintian/blob/master/data/spelling/corrections
  nonexistant||nonexistent

"non-existent" exists too and would be the British spelling (though it
might have lost its hyphen in a recent spelling revision that removed
hyphens from some 16000 words. But I could not confirm that). So one
could use that spelling if British English is the standard in Spice.

  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/non-existent

But as far as I can tell the form with a space and the -ing ending is
not valid at all.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>