[Spice-devel] Xspice with --vdagent disables mouse

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 15:13:04 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 11:55:48PM +0200, Jordan Sokolic wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've recently begun using Xspice as a remote desktop solution. I'm
> finding its performance to be greatly superior to VNC, RDP or others.
> Nice!
> I wrote a small wrapper script that launches Xspice on a remote
> machine with the following arguments:
>
>     Xspice  --auto --disable-ticketing --deferred-fps 30
> --audio-fifo-dir $AUDIO_FIFO_DIR --xsession startxfce4 :1
>
> All works well, however I am unable to get vdagent working for
> clipboard redirection. What happens instead is no cursor appears in
> the remote session, and mouse input is ignored. Only keyboard input
> still works.
> When I add the --vdagent argument, I see that two additional
> subprocesses are started:
>
>     $ ps -ef | grep Xspice
>
> jordan   17426 17404  0 22:52 pts/2    00:00:00
> /usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd -f -x -S /tmp/xspice-vdagent -s
> /tmp/xspice-virtio -u /tmp/xspice-uinput
> jordan   17436 17404  0 22:52 pts/2    00:00:00 /usr/bin/spice-vdagent
> -x -s /tmp/xspice-virtio -S /tmp/xspice-vdagent
>
> confirmation that the agent pipes and sockets are created successfully:
>     $ ls -la  /tmp | grep xspice-
>
> prw-r--r--  1 jordan jordan     0 Feb  4 23:43 xspice-uinput
> srw-rw-rw-  1 jordan jordan     0 Feb  4 23:43 xspice-vdagent
> srwxr-xr-x  1 jordan jordan     0 Feb  4 23:43 xspice-virtio
>
> I tried running with '--xsession xterm' and got the same results, so
> it appears unrelated to XFCE or any of my startup applications.
>
> (possibly) relevant details:
>
> * remote machine: Ubuntu 16.04 amd64
>     * spice-vdagent 0.17.0-1
>     * xserver-xspice 0.1.4-3ubuntu3
> * local machine: Xubuntu 16.04 amd64
>     * virt-viewer 1.0-1
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, not really a huge help, but with a remote/local f25, I do not have
mouse issues using the same command-line as you did and --xsession
xterm. Maybe you can try to boot from a fedora 25 live cd (and install
virt-viewer if needed) to check whether that's a client-side or remote
issue? virt-viewer 1.0 is 2.5 years old at this point.