[Spice-devel] Xspice with --vdagent disables mouse

Jordan Sokolic jordan.sokolic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:19:24 UTC 2017

Thanks for your reply Christophe. I can confirm that it's a host issue
and not related to the remote client.
I've since upgraded to vdagent 0.17.0 and xspice 0.1.5-3 compiled
locally from: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-xorg/driver/xserver-xorg-video-qxl.git

Now, I am able to run Xspice successfully with vdagent, but _only_
when sitting directly in front of the machine!
When running Xspice locally I see the following output:

spice_vdagentd: opening vdagent virtio channel

I am then able to start up any spice client on the same machine or any
remote machine and have all vdagent features enabled.

However, if I start Xspice from a SSH session as the same user, with
exactly the same arguments, even on the same machine, the line I wrote
above from spice_vdagentd is missing, and vdagent features are
disabled.

The only difference I can discern is the following line in xorg.log
(may or may not be relevant):

Local:
[ 11345.054] (II) config/udev: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[ 11345.054] (II) systemd-logind: got fd for /dev/dri/card0 226:0 fd 18 paused 1
[ 11345.054] (EE) Error systemd-logind returned paused fd for drm node
[ 11345.054] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 226:0

SSH:
[ 16438.417] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[ 16438.418] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to take device
/dev/dri/card0: Operation not permitted
[ 16438.418] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version
1.4: Permission denied

Otherwise the logs are identical.

Invoking Xspice from the SSH session still creates vdagent
subprocesses, all the pipes and sockets are in the right place, etc.

Thank you,