[Spice-devel] How to config video and image compression?

John Y. wjseven1707 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:43:56 UTC 2017

I learned that video and image compression can be chosen server initiation
from https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html.
How can I change the configuration for the compression ?

I want to play 720p video smoothly in the guest(some loss or distortion
does not matter).
What is the best configuration for me?

I got that I can change option of graphics in libvirt like:
<graphics type='spice' port='-1' tlsPort='-1' autoport='yes'>
  <channel name='main' mode='secure'/>
  <channel name='record' mode='insecure'/>
  <image compression='auto_glz'/>
  <streaming mode='filter'/>
  <clipboard copypaste='no'/>
  <mouse mode='client'/>
  <filetransfer enable='no'/>
  <gl enable='yes' rendernode='/dev/dri/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.0-render'/>
</graphics>

Which option should I change ?

Can I also customize more parameter about the vga(such as fps, bitrate ...)
?

Regards,
John