[Spice-devel] How to config video and image compression?

Uri Lublin uril at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 16:58:33 UTC 2017

On 02/23/2017 09:43 AM, John Y. wrote:
> I learned that video and image compression can be chosen server
> initiation from https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html.
> How can I change the configuration for the compression ?
>
> I want to play 720p video smoothly in the guest(some loss or distortion
> does not matter).
> What is the best configuration for me?
>
> I got that I can change option of graphics in libvirt like:
> <graphics type='spice' port='-1' tlsPort='-1' autoport='yes'>
>   <channel name='main' mode='secure'/>
>   <channel name='record' mode='insecure'/>
>   <image compression='auto_glz'/>
>   <streaming mode='filter'/>
>   <clipboard copypaste='no'/>
>   <mouse mode='client'/>
>   <filetransfer enable='no'/>
>   <gl enable='yes' rendernode='/dev/dri/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.0-render'/>
> </graphics>
>
> Which option should I change ?
>
> Can I also customize more parameter about the vga(such as fps, bitrate
> ...) ?
>
> Regards,
> John

Hi John,

What is the guest OS?

According to your configuration above, I assume you are
running the VM locally on your workstation.
Also I see you are trying to use virgl (gl enable=yes)
If this is the case, for Linux guests, you need not to worry about
image/video compression.
Just make sure you are using virtio-vga and that the
given 'rendernode' is correct and accessible,
and that you have new enough qemu-kvm/spice-server and
remote-viewer or virt-manager.

Regards,
     Uri.