[Spice-devel] keymap detection under XWayland broken again ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 13:13:25 UTC 2017

A long while back, Pavel learnt that under XWayland we needed to
use XkbGetMap instead of XkbGetKeyboard:

  commit 95e322a6bbc29dc9c28724fb80706464e276b89f
  Author: Pavel Grunt <pgrunt at redhat.com>
  Date:   Fri Feb 20 16:19:50 2015 +0100

    vncdisplaykeymap: Use XkbGetMap and XkbGetNames instead of XkbGetKeyboard

    XkbGetKeyboard does not work in XWayland (bfo#89240).

If I test spice-gtk today, forcing GTK to use X11 as the backend, the
keymap detection is broken for XWayland again :-(

$ GDK_BACKEND=x11  ./tools/spicy

(lt-spicy:17512): vnc-keymap-WARNING **: Unknown keycode mapping '(unnamed)'.
Please report to gtk-vnc-list at gnome.org
including the following information:

  - Operating system
  - GDK build
  - X11 Server
  - xprop -root
  - xdpyinfo

It seems, at least on my own Fedora 25 machine,  Xwayland is reporting
"unnamed" for the keymap instead of "evdev". I'm pretty sure this used
to work correctly when Pavel first wrote that changeset above, so I'm
wondering if anyone else sees this same behaviour, or if perhaps it is
something peculiar to my desktop install/setup. If its not jsut me, then
its a change in behaviour of Xwayland we'll need to adapt to. I really
hope we don't need to go back to my hack of checking if WAYLAND_DISPLAY
env variable exists :-(

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|