[Spice-devel] Survey of repository preferences

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at redhat.com
Thu Jul 27 15:07:03 UTC 2017

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> > I think we should rather find a consensus on the mailing list rather than
> > avoiding the discussion.
>
> “Avoiding the discussion" sounds like a cheap and unjustified shot. Please
> discuss.

You are the one making proposal, you should come up with rationale. but ok

- Use gitlab/github as primary, make freedesktop a mirror *?

What benefit does that bring? The canonical source is hosted on freedesktop for ages. The role of this is a stable & controlled git repo to pull/push code to. Moving it to a different location doesn't change that. Using github/gitlab as mirrors allows to have all the benefits of those hosting services. So why?

- Rename spice as spice-server
- Rename other repositories so that all children repos begin with 'spice-' *

I wasn't aware of that discussion, but changing a project name brings a number of issues for distributions and people watching releases etc. Renaming stuff is always problematic, what is the benefit?

- Create top-level repository with all others repositories as submodules (if we use 'spice-server', that one would be called 'spice') *

Isn't this already the case? https://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/

How you really mean "git submodules".. Eh, what's the point? Sounds very wrong and useless to me, it will be constantly outdated.. Write a script instead?

- Make spice-protocol a submodule of modules that use it

We have been there before with spice-gtk/spice-common, and it was reverted. The main issue was that every project ended-up bundling spice-protocol. (and others keep complaining about various submodules issues) Since spice-protocol is very stable, it's actually best to keep it standalone. In all cases, it's a pain to change that, so please no...

- Use merge requests or pull requests for my own code *
- Have others use merge requests or pull requests *
- Require patches to also be sent to mailing list for all merge/pull requests *

As long as patch are reviewed on ML, I am fine with all that.