[Spice-devel] Survey of repository preferences

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 27 15:22:18 UTC 2017

> Hi

I think the idea was to use kind of click to merge directly from PR

> - Rename spice as spice-server
> - Rename other repositories so that all children repos begin with 'spice-' *
>
> I wasn't aware of that discussion, but changing a project name brings a
> number of issues for distributions and people watching releases etc.
> Renaming stuff is always problematic, what is the benefit?
>
> - Create top-level repository with all others repositories as submodules (if
> we use 'spice-server', that one would be called 'spice') *
>
> Isn't this already the case? https://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/
>
> How you really mean "git submodules".. Eh, what's the point? Sounds very
> wrong and useless to me, it will be constantly outdated.. Write a script
> instead?
>
> - Make spice-protocol a submodule of modules that use it
>
> We have been there before with spice-gtk/spice-common, and it was reverted.
> The main issue was that every project ended-up bundling spice-protocol. (and
> others keep complaining about various submodules issues) Since
> spice-protocol is very stable, it's actually best to keep it standalone. In
> all cases, it's a pain to change that, so please no...

All these seems not much related to tracking, I agree with Marc-andre on this.

> - Use merge requests or pull requests for my own code *
> - Have others use merge requests or pull requests *
> - Require patches to also be sent to mailing list for all merge/pull requests
> *
>
> As long as patch are reviewed on ML, I am fine with all that.

If the first 2 are true and 3rd not reviewed should be done on the PR
with just (if possible, usually yes) notification in the ML.

The flow is not defined however. PRs could be just used for tracking
or avoiding entirely the ML. This maybe should be chosen before a poll.

Frediano