[Spice-devel] shared folders in Windows with QEMU/KVM ?

Robert Grasso robert.grasso at modulonet.fr
Wed May 31 12:06:42 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am a senior Linux sysadmin, and I am just discovering QEMU/KVM at
home, where I am using Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04. So far, I must say I
like it ! Many years ago, Qemu was a pain : it is a miracle, the
improvement is unbelievable ! My warmest congratulations to everybody
who has worked so hard !

At work, I am administering VSphere and VMware Workstation.

So far, I am not digging into QEMU/KVM internals, rather discovering it
as an end-user (just to try and see if I can advertise it at work, for
my non-IT users)

I imported successfully an Ubuntu 16.04 vm from VB to QEMU/KVM, and I
can drag-and-drop a file from the host to the VM : amazing !

I imported successfully my Windows 7 guest and my Windows 10 guest (some
filesystem issues with Windows 7 which I fixed, none with Windows 10),
installed the spice guest tools in both from here :

https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-latest.exe

and I can resize the display nicely.

I am having an issue with the shared folders, which "do not work" : what
I did :

- in virt-manager, I enabled the channel org.spice-space.webdav.0
- in the guest, I installed space-webdavd from here :
https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-webdavd/

- I read
Spice User Manual
https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html

Now :
- from this manual, I do not see where I can find this : "Use the
remote-viewer "File" → "Preferences" menu to enable it"
- I do not find which command provides the option --spice-share-dir :
man -K spice-share-dir does not yield any result, whereas man -K spice
does; and I guess I installed almost every (?) available virt* and qemu*
package from the Ubuntu repository;
- in Windows (7 and 10) with an elevated cmd.exe : this bad thing happens :

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>"c:\Program Files\SPICE webdavd\map-drive.bat"

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * http://localhost:9843/
    System error 67 has occurred.

    The network name cannot be found.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>REG ADD
    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\##localhost at 9843#DavWWWRoot"
    /v  "_LabelFromReg" /t REG_SZ /d "Spice client" /f
    The operation completed successfully.

even if the Spice proxy service is running, as far as I remember - I
even disabled the firewall.
and in the Event Viewer (7 and 10) I see regular occurrences of :

    Faulting application name: spice-webdavd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time
    stamp: 0x58e61b16
    Faulting module name: libglib-2.0-0.dll, version: 2.50.1.0, time
    stamp: 0x695f011a
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000004e5e5
    Faulting process id: 0x75c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d9ff6cdd440f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SPICE
    webdavd\bin\spice-webdavd.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\SPICE
    webdavd\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
    Report Id: 07337de2-e137-49b3-94be-870db95ed5a9
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can anybody help ? Is this feature publicly available, or is it still in
development, or stalled, or dropped ?

Best regards

--
Robert Grasso